A green home is an environmentally sustainable residence, designed, constructed and operated to minimise or [eliminate where possible] the total environmental impacts and embodied energy use.
The main strategies to achieve a green home include:
- design or certify in accordance with an accredited institution (BREEAM, LEED, Passivhaus, etc.)
- reduced energy loss or consumption (energy efficiency)
- utilising renewable or clean energy sources (microgeneration)
- water conservation (brown and grey water recycling, rainwater harvesting)
- good waste management practices (reduce, reuse, recycle)
Green homes save money, energy, increase comfort and create healthier environments for people to live and work in.