A new day dawns. The early morning mist clears, revealing a beautiful green and ochre land. The wild flowers open to catch the sun. Here, guided by an ethos of harmonious, sustainable living, Elixir Group created an award-winning destination, AlmaVerde Village & Spa.
At the gateway to the vast and relatively undiscovered Costa Vicentina Natural Park, with its rugged coastline and golden beaches, AlmaVerde is still only 10 km from Lagos with its marina, colourful markets and vibrant nightlife.
Set among mature oak, pine and carob trees, with panoramic views of the surrounding countryside, AlmaVerde is a low-density community, with well under 10% of the 58 hectare (143 acre) site designated for construction.
AlmaVerde architecture draws from local traditions, adding modern flair and attention to detail. The many available designs are carefully juxtaposed, employing a consistent palette of colours and details to create a unified, harmonious whole.
In response to local climatic conditions, AlmaVerde has developed an innovative building system, selecting materials for their thermal and insulating properties, as well as their beauty and durability.
The result? Villas of exceptional quality that stay cool in the summer, warm and damp-free in the winter, with minimal maintenance and running costs.
Owners and guests can enjoy a game of tennis on one of the four, low-impact, synthetic grass tennis courts. Our friendly coach is on hand to help you to improve your game. Follow up with a relaxing massage at Wellness at AlmaVerde, our day spa, or join your friends for a drink at The Pavilion, our stylish cafe bar.
AlmaVerde offers luxury accommodation in garden studios and apartments, and an unparalleled range of facilities and programmes to help you to relax and unwind, and feel younger and more energetic.
Should you decided to buy a unit, upon successful exchange of contracts contact WhatGreenHome to claim your GBP 250 cashback and enjoy a congratulatory bottle of bubbly on us!
Disclaimer: Whilst we make all reasonable efforts to validate the property details and green features of the home provided, we unfortunately cannot guarantee it. Please let us know if you find any information provided here are false or misleading. Please also refer to our Terms & Conditions when you have a moment.
- Property Type: Showcase
- Listing Type: For Sale
- Location: 8650 Vila do Bispo, Portugal
- Energy Efficient Appliances: High efficiency condensing gas boiler (piped LPG). Coolhouse low energy comfort cooling system uses air handling unit to bring air into the house via underground tubes and a sub-floor plenum.
- Energy Efficient Lighting: Yes.
- Window Insulation: Window frames are solid timber. Windows are argon filled double glazed units with low emissivity glass and solar reflective film where exposed to South and West.
- Wall, Floor, Roof and Cavity Insulation: Houses have a complete external insulation envelope with STO wall system (as used in British Royal Opera House) as well as insulated timber ceiling sandwich panels.
- Other Energy Efficiency: Inner walls are natural sun dried clay (adobe) providing high levels of thermal mass, resulting in stable and comfortable internal temperature and humidity levels over a 24hr cycle.
- Ground and Air Source Heat Pumps: Air source heat pumps used for pool heating.
- Other Technology: Coolhouse system employs natural ground cooling.
- Other Design Principles: Coolhouse is a project funded by the Energy Research Directorate of the European Commission to investigate innovative ventilation and cooling strategies with a view to reducing the use of domestic air conditioning in Southern Europe, thereby reducing CO2 emissions. The Coolhouse system provides summer cooling at low energy cost, as well as controlling fresh air in the winter, using the soil mass as a heat sink to remove the peaks and troughs of the external air temperature, allowing a consistent supply temperature to the houses. For more information, please refer to the Coolhouse whitepaper under our Documents section above.
- Waste Recycling (incl. Construction): On site recycling centre.
- Water Management: Impermeability of development strictly controlled to preserve captation of rainwater in naturally occurring fractured limestone underground deposits. Artesian wells use this water for irrigation of public areas.
- Grants and Incentives Utilised: Coolhouse received development support from the EU Fifth Framework to look at low energy alternatives to domestic air conditioning in Southern Europe.
- Awards Received:  OPP Awards for Excellence: Best Eco-Development (gold);  OPP Awards for Excellence: Best Eco Development (silver);  OPP Awards for Excellence (worldwide): Best Innovation (gold), Best Eco Development (gold), Best Developer - Portugal & Madeira (silver);  CNBC European Property Awards: Best Portuguese Architecture (5 star), Best Portuguese Property (5 star);  Homes Overseas Awards (worldwide): Best Sustainable Development (gold), Best Portuguese Development (silver), WhatGreenHome (Highly Commended);  Homes Overseas Awards (worldwide): Developer of the Year (silver), Best Landscaping (gold), Best Sustainable Development (silver), Best Innovation (silver), Best Portuguese villa (silver);  Homes Overseas Awards (worldwide): Best Sustainable Development (gold), Royal Awards for Sustainability (Europe wide): Winner for Sustainable Tourism Accommodation;  Building Magazine UK Sustainability Awards: Finalist: Innovation category, Homes Overseas Awards (worldwide): Best Environmentally Aware Development (silver);  Homes Overseas Awards (worldwide): Best Environmentally Aware Development (gold);  Prmios DirecGeral de Energia, Portugal: Special mention;  Building Services Awards (Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers, UK): Finalist: International Achievement of the Year, Mercedes Benz International Property Awards: Best Portuguese Property (5 star).
- Local and Sustainable Building Materials: Sun dried bricks made on site from locally sourced clay. Same clay used for mortar and render. All timber from sustainable sources.
- Sustainable Transport (On-site): Grounds staff use electric golf buggies.
- Other: Large wind farms to north of development provide significant percentage of electricity for the Algarve.
- Easy access to main road
- Exercise studio
- Marked walking trails
- Mini football pitch
- Mountain bike hire
- Spa & wellness centre
- Tennis coaching
- 3 x 18 hole golf courses in 10kms radius
- Beach 2kms away
- Bird watching
- Cosmopolitan Lagos 10kms away
- Costa Vicentina Natural Park
- Sea fishing